COVID-19 Workplace Readiness and Operating Under Risk Adjusted Regulations
Returning to work essential and practical tools for businesses operations.
On 23 April 2020, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced the gradual and phased approach to other business operations which will differ having regard to the applicable level of lock down as declared by Government from time to time (Levels 1 to 5). The Disaster Management Regulations indicate operation of businesses per level and scaling of employment per phase. Risk Adjusted Strategy Regulations for permitted business under supply chain including manufacturing can be downloaded below. Permitted businesses are to operate under strict health protocols, social distancing rules and returning to work to be done in a manner that avoids and reduces risks of COVID-19 infection and spreading. All employers must re-examine their activities, work environment and policies in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic and may need to change, adapt or enhance these in order.
Government hotline number for reporting positive cases: 0800 029 999
Recent official guidelines on managing Health risks & positive cases in the workplace
The link to the Western Cape provincial guidelines: https://coronavirus.westerncape.gov.za/frequently-asked-questions/frequently-asked-questions-how-prevent-and-manage-covid-19-infections
Gazetted Disaster Management Regulations and COVID-19 OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES IN WORKPLACES can be obtained here:
The ‘Return to Work’ initiative (in which Government and Business South Africa are partners) has developed useful advice on steps to take for a legal and healthy return to work process, outlined here on their website:www.return2work.co.za/business-resources/ Helpful documents can be downloaded from the same page: including
1) Practice note – combines key ideas from the COGTA & Dept of Labour gazetted documents into one, together with reference to the OHS Act.
2) CEO declaration – Also see p.t 4 in Practice Note, employers ”should” complete such a document. It is not legally required by either of the Gazettes. Rather it is a useful document to have on hand, and ready to share with authorities if required.
3) Detailed risk assessment template
Documents relating to;
– Medical aid, Pension contribution and Skills Development Levy payments during COVID-19 and
– the application of the Compensation Act to work place-acquired corona virus disease, can be downloaded here: www.return2work.co.za/additional-resources/