MEMSA CEO, Mr. Lehlohonolo Molloyi appointed to serve on the CSIR Manufacturing Cluster Industry Advisory Panel.
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has embarked on an industrialisation strategy, whereby the organisation’s focus is to identify areas where the CSIR should be building long-term capabilities for strategic competitiveness. The CSIR will work with specific industry sectors to improve competitiveness through the enhancement of processes and operational efficiencies.
The Manufacturing Cluster of the CSIR has the overarching objective of using Digital Transformation and 4IR technologies to contribute towards re-industrialisation of the South African economy and accelerating socio-economic prosperity through leading innovation.
The Industry Advisory Panel will assist in establishing an industrial development portfolio, thereby ensuring alignment with industry and/or sector priorities. The appointment of external advisors will provide both expertise and industry exposure in alignment with the strategic objectives of the Manufacturing Cluster and provide deeper insight into industry needs and perspectives, a key success factor in achieving the Cluster’s strategic intent objectives.
The key role and function of the panel is to:
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and reviews of Cluster RDI activities
- Provide critical analysis of RDI portfolio relative to the needs of the industry and South African Economy
- Guide the cluster in the development of new relationships that can assist with the successful execution of its strategic goals (both locally & internationally)
- Strengthen existing, and establish new, capabilities that have the potential to create new industries and overall industrial transformation
- Objectively review the Cluster's commercialisation, technology transfer, enterprise development and technology localisation approaches
- Advise on value propositions, market segmentation, targeting, positioning of the Cluster offerings to target industry/private sector to enhance clusters capability visibility
- Advise the Cluster on appropriate inter-phasing mechanisms, collaboration models of engaging with industry/private sector.
Mr Lehlohonolo Amos Molloyi, CEO of Mining Equipment Manufacturers of South Africa (MEMSA), was appointed as chair of the panel in March. In his capacity as CEO, he has been actively engaging with the CSIR, Minerals Council of South Africa, and the research programmes based at the Mandela Mining Precinct on behalf of the cluster. He regularly consults with industry members as well as public sector partners on research, product development, innovation and industrial development in South Africa.
Mr. Molloyi is honoured to be selected as chairperson and to serve on the panel as representative of the mining machinery, equipment and related services sector and commits to serve the industry well.